[ovirt-devel] Obfuscated UI exception message debugging

Alexander Wels awels at redhat.com
Fri Jan 8 20:53:01 UTC 2016

Hi,

With the release of oVirt 3.6 the UI team added a handler for any uncaught
exceptions. This handlers shows a popup that basically says the following:

Uncaught exception occurred. Please try reloading the page. Details:  [some
information]

With the some information giving some indication of what happened. Usually
that information is less than helpful. You can see the associated stack trace
in the browser console, but since all the code is obfuscated the stack trace
is usually pretty useless as well. I have been seeing a lot of bugs being
opened about the popup. In an effort to help everyone understand what is going
on and help us debug the root cause of the problem I created a wiki page [1]
that shows some steps to 'de-obfuscate' manually the stack trace and provide
hopefully some useful information.

Doing all of this labor intensive and not very intuitive, so in an effort to
automate the process, I have also created a patch that sends the obfuscated
stack trace to the engine and some code to automatically de-obfuscate the
stack trace and write it to a UI specific log [2]. Once that patch is merged
looking up UI exceptions should be as simple as looking in that log.

Hopefully the above will aid everyone in debugging any strange exceptions
generated by the UI.

Alexander

[1] http://www.ovirt.org/OVirt_Engine_Debug_Obfuscated_UI
[2] https://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/51558/