[ovirt-devel] Subject: Looking for advice regarding user portal development.

Barak Korren bkorren at redhat.com
Tue Jan 12 09:02:13 UTC 2016

Hi,

Thanks for getting involved with oVirt!

> 1) The ability to quickly create a new VM from a template, whilst hiding
> some of the complexity from the user.

It seems to me you can gain the same simplicity benefits by using VM
pools and with no additional code...
While cloud environments have made people used to dynamically spinning
up VMs, this is a hammer that does not fit all nails, a pool of
stateless pre-created VMs might suit your need better, and will work
faster from an individual user's point of view.
It is also more efficient in storage terms.

> 2) The ability to provide some of the more advanced features whilst hiding
> some of the complexities of the Extended view
>
> Proposed Solution A: Create a third tab ...
>
> Proposed Solution B: Similar to the above ...
>
> Proposed Solution C: Add settings that will allow the user to enable/disable
> GUI elements in the userportal as required.

I would go with solution C which seems to me the most generally useful...

> 3) Ability to specify sets of VM templates which can be created as new VMs
> together

In conjunction with my proposal for feature 1, think about how this
would work for pools...

--
Barak Korren
bkorren at redhat.com