[ovirt-devel] [ATN] RESTAPI specification moving to a separate git repository

Juan Hernández jhernand at redhat.com
Thu Jan 21 09:06:52 UTC 2016

On 01/20/2016 08:06 PM, Yevgeny Zaspitsky wrote:
> Juan,
>
> Well done!
>
> But, there is a mismatch between gerrit and gitub links in your e-mail.
>
> Regards,
> Yevgeny

You are right, I'm fixing inline. The names of the gerrit projects are
as follows:

  ovirt-engine-api-model
  ovirt-engine-api-metamodel

I included the github URLs because they are a easy an nice way to see
the content:

  https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-engine-api-model
  https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-engine-api-metamodel

This ^ should be https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-engine-api-model.

> [...]

This ^ should be https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-engine-api-model.

>     Currently I'm manually keeping these repositories in sync with the
>     ovirt-engine repository, but I will very soon remove all this code from
>     the ovirt-engine repository:
>
>       restapi: Move model to separate repository
>       https://gerrit.ovirt.org/51519
>
>     This means that once the above patch is merged, which will be very soon,
>     probably this week, when you need to do changes to the specification of
>     the RESTAPI, you will need first to prepare a patch for the
>     ovirt-engine-api-model, submit it, review it, etc. Once that patch is
>     merged I will do a new release of the model. Then you will need to
>     update the root POM of the engine to use the new version of the model,
>     for example:
>
>       - <model.version>4.0.1</model.version>
>       + <model.version>4.0.2</model.version>
>
>     And adjust the engine to work with the new version of the model.
>
>     As you will probably want to do these changes and test them before
>     publishing anything, or asking for any review, I'd suggest the following
>     process:
>
>     1. Checkout the model project:
>
>       $ git clone git://gerrit.ovirt.org/ovirt-engine-api-model
>     <http://gerrit.ovirt.org/ovirt-engine-api-model>
>
>     2. Check the version number in the root POM. It should be a SNAPSHOT
>     version, unless you explicitly checkout from a tag. For example,
>     currently it is 4.0.2-SNAPSHOT.
>
>     3. Make your changes to the model, and then install it to your local
>     Maven repository:
>
>       $ mvn clean install
>
>     4. Add to your $HOME/.m2/settings.xml a profile that is activated
>     automatically and that changes the value of the "model.version" property
>     used by the engine:
>
>       <activeProfiles>
>         <activeProfile>myprofile</activeProfile>
>       </activeProfiles>
>
>       <profiles>
>         <profile>
>           <id>myprofile</id>
>           <properties>
>             <model.version>4.0.2-SNAPSHOT</model.version>
>           </properties>
>         </profile>
>       </profiles>
>
>     5. Make your changes to the engine, and build it as usual, it will your
>     modified version of the model.
>
>     6. Publish/review the changes to the model.
>
>     7. Wait for the new model release.
>
>     8. Publish/review the changes to the engine, including the change of the
>     model version in the root POM. Note that you can publish/review these
>     changes without waiting for the new model release, but the Jenkins test
>     will fail.
>
>     Note also that changes to the model will need to be properly documented
>     in order to be accepted. There are some instructions on how to document
>     the model here:
>
>       https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-engine-api-model/blob/master/README.md
>
>     All these changes affect only the master branch, nothing changed in

3ºD, 28016 Madrid, Spain