[ovirt-devel] Changing the name of VDSM in oVirt 4.0.

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Wed Jan 27 07:29:10 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 7:26 PM, Nir Soffer <nsoffer at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 5:29 PM, Yaniv Dary <ydary at redhat.com> wrote:
>> I suggest for ease of use and tracking we change the versioning to align to
>> the engine (4.0.0 in oVirt 4.0 GA) to make it easy to know which version was
>> in which release and also change the package naming to something like
>> ovirt-host-manager\ovirt-host-agent.
>
> When we think about the names, we should consider all the components
> installed or running on the host. Here is the current names and future options:
>
> Current names:
>
> vdsmd
> supervdsmd
> vdsm-tool
> vdsClient
> (we have also two hosted engine daemons, I don't remember the names)
>
> Here are some options in no particular order to name these components:
>
> Alt 1:
> ovirt-hypervisor
> ovirt-hypervisor-helper
> ovirt-hypervisor-tool
> ovirt-hyperviosr-cli
>
> Alt 2:

Not sure it's that important. Still, how about:

> ovirt-host

ovirt-hostd

> ovirt-host-helper

ovirt-priv-hostd

> ovirt-host-tool

ovirt-hostd-tool

> ovirt-host-cli

ovirt-hostd-cli

Also we should get rid of '/rhev/' in start of mount points IMO. How
about '/var/lib/ovirt-hostd/mounts/' or something like that?

Re versioning, we have many other tools with their own, including e.g.
ovirt-hosted-engine-setup, ovirt-host-deploy, ovirt-guest-agent
(unsynced), ovirt-engine-dwh and ovirt-engine-reports (synced
major.minor). Reasons already mentioned by others.
--
Didi