[ovirt-devel] Debian porting

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Fri Jan 29 15:15:02 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 12:17 PM, Milan Zamazal <mzamazal at redhat.com> wrote:
> lucas castro <lucascastroborges at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Who is working on ovirt debian porting,
>
> I'm working on inclusion of Vdsm into Debian.  ovirt-guest-agent is
> already included in Debian (packaged by another Debian maintainer).  I'm
> not aware about any plans to package Engine for Debian nor I plan to do
> so.
>
> There are also Vdsm Debian packages provided by oVirt at
> http://resources.ovirt.org/pub/ovirt-3.6/debian/, but I don't recommend
> using them if you are going to use packages from standard Debian
> distribution once they are ready.  While the packages to be included in
> Debian started from those provided by oVirt, there are many fixes in
> them and upgrading from oVirt repository packages to packages from
> Debian is not supported (may change if there is strong demand for that).
> So mixing those is likely to cause troubles.
>
> As for Vdsm in Debian, I've already uploaded most of the supporting
> packages (Python libraries, MoM) to Debian unstable.  Vdsm itself is in
> preparation.
>
> One blocker is old version of sanlock package in Debian and missing
> sanlock-python package.  I wrote to the Debian package maintainer a few
> days ago, no response so far.  In the meantime, it's possible to use
> sanlock packages by oVirt from the URL mentioned above.  (Please note I
> can't simply upload Debian package of another maintainer without his
> consent, so we must be patient.)
>
>> And how can I help ?
>
> If you'd like to help with Vdsm packaging in Debian, you can do so in
> any of the following ways:
>
> - Providing input on your needs.
>
> - Providing feedback on what to do with /rhev/data-center mounts
>   directory in Vdsm.  It's FHS incompatible and must be changed for
>   Debian (the current location in the package is
>   /run/vdsm/rhev/data-center).

I would not keep "rehv" in the new path, we certainly will remove it
when we can,
even on rhel.

We started to use /run/vdsm/storage for images directories about 2 years ago.
I think the plan was to move /rhev/data-center contents there, but it broke
backward compatibility, so we have partial solution, keeping domains and images
directories in /run/vdsm/domain/image, and symbolic links to logical volumes
for these images, when the logical volumes are activated.

It looks like no code is using the links in /run/vdsm/storage, so this may be
good place to move rhev/data-center contents in the future.

I suggest to keep /rhev/data-center as is for now, to make it easier to support
vdsm on debain.

If you must avoid /rhev/data-center, move it to /run/vdsm/data-center, but note
that future version of vdsm may move it to /run/vdsm/storage, or
another location,
so old debain code will not be compatible with new debian code :-)

It would be easier to support vdsm if the runtime configuration is the same on
all platforms.