[ovirt-devel] Strange issues with com.google.gwt.i18n.client.Messages.AlternateMessage [bz#1358837]

Vojtech Szocs vszocs at redhat.com
Thu Jul 28 15:19:07 UTC 2016

Hi Ramesh,

this issue seems to be related with removal of @DefaultMessage annotations,
moving the default (English) strings into corresponding .properties files.

As we generally want default strings to reside in .properties files, I see
following options to explore, based on our earlier conversation:

1, try annotating UIMessages interface with:
   @Generate(format = "com.google.gwt.i18n.server.PropertyCatalogFactory")

   - ref: https://github.com/gwtproject/gwt/issues/7032#issuecomment-110858030
   - this is likely non-feasible, however, since @Generate requests generation
     of translation sources (.properties) from Java code

2, try removing @AlternateMessage annotation and modify .properties file:
   recurrenceType=Incorrect enum
   recurrenceType[UNKNOWN]=None
   recurrenceType[INTERVAL]=Minute
   recurrenceType[HOURLY]=Hourly
   recurrenceType[DAILY]=Daily
   recurrenceType[WEEKLY]=Weekly
   recurrenceType[MONTHLY]=Monthly

   - ref: http://www.gwtproject.org/doc/latest/DevGuideI18nPluralForms.html
   - this might not work as it might be @PluralCount-only (not for @Select)

3, remove @AlternateMessage & handle enum-to-string formatting on our own

   String sizeUnitString(String size, @Messages.Select SizeConverter.SizeUnit sizeUnit);
   becomes
   String sizeUnitString(String size, String sizeUnitValue);

   String recurrenceType(@Select GlusterVolumeSnapshotScheduleRecurrence recurrence);
   gets removed, because there is no point in having "{0}" message

   getMessages().sizeUnitString(size, sizeUnit);
   becomes
   getMessages().sizeUnitString(size, <someUtility>(sizeUnit));

   getMessages().recurrenceType(recurrence);
   becomes
   <someUtility>(recurrence);

Personally, I think 3, is the most correct solution. As Alex wrote below,
we're planning to switch away from GWT i18n mechanism in the long-term;
relying on @AlternateMessage etc. is therefore an obstacle to that effort.

Also, we already have infra for localizing enum members: LocalizedEnums

So as part of solution 3, we should add into LocalizedEnums:

  String GlusterVolumeSnapshotScheduleRecurrence___INTERVAL();
  String GlusterVolumeSnapshotScheduleRecurrence___HOURLY();
  String GlusterVolumeSnapshotScheduleRecurrence___DAILY();
  String GlusterVolumeSnapshotScheduleRecurrence___WEEKLY();
  String GlusterVolumeSnapshotScheduleRecurrence___MONTHLY();
  String GlusterVolumeSnapshotScheduleRecurrence___UNKNOWN();

plus add corresponding strings in LocalizedEnums.properties file.

This way, we can leverage existing EnumTranslator#translate method.

By doing so, <someUtility> mentioned above === EnumTranslator#translate

Regards,
Vojtech