[ovirt-devel] aarch64 / Raspberry Pi3

Martin Polednik mpolednik at redhat.com
Wed Nov 30 15:11:59 UTC 2016

On 28/10/16 09:06 +0200, Sandro Bonazzola wrote:
>Hi,
>some time ago we've been asked to provide aarch64 build of qemu-kvm-ev for
>CentOS Cloud SIG consumption.
>We did it, and while at it we also built oVirt 4.0 VDSM dependencies for
>aarch64 in CentOS Virt SIG.
>
>Testing repositories have been created and are now publicly available:
>
>[centos-qemu-ev-test]
>name=CentOS-$releasever - QEMU EV Testing
>baseurl=
>http://buildlogs.centos.org/centos/$releasever/virt/$basearch/kvm-common/
>gpgcheck=1
>enabled=1
>gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-SIG-Virtualization
>
>[centos-ovirt40-test]
>name=CentOS-$releasever - oVirt 4.0 Testing
>baseurl=
>http://buildlogs.centos.org/centos/$releasever/virt/$basearch/ovirt-4.0/
>gpgcheck=1
>enabled=1
>gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-SIG-Virtualization
>
>We don't officially support aarch64 and this is highly experimental so
>expect bugs. But if you've a Raspberry Pi 3 and you decide to give VDSM a
>run, please share your feedback.

I'd like to revive this thread as I've experimented with master VDSM
on rpi 3. First, there are close to no aarch64 builds for raspberry
except from images by Kraxel https://www.kraxel.org/repos/rpi2/images/.

Even with these images, it's doesn't seem to be easy to get KVM up and
running due to various HW quirks. Additionally, there is no network
bridge/tunnel support built into the kernel.

If you manage to bypass all this, VDSM depends on wide range of
packages such as python-blivet that don't work on rasperry's fedora 24
properly and require additional hacking (arch detection).

I'll probably blog about my adventure some time in the future, but
maybe those findings could be helpful.

mpolednik