[ovirt-devel] Question about testing

Eyal Edri eedri at redhat.com
Sun Feb 5 14:46:16 UTC 2017

On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 4:38 PM, Marc Young <3vilpenguin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure the process for posting on oVirt.org but I wouldn't mind at
> all. I was going to write one on my personal blog as well. I'll send an
> email in a few.
>
> As for the tests, the unit tests are rspec and can run without a server.
> The acceptance tests were, in my mind, just going to be a bunch of
> directories, each with a vagrantfile specific to the test, such as one with
> specific CPU/ram, one with a bash provisioner, and the tests were going to
> be simple `bats` tests that vagrant up, vagrant halt, snapshot , restore
> from snapshot, etc and test error codes. Those will need a master but the
> tests would just be time consuming workflow specific assertions. Feel free
> to suggest something else, but that's what I had planned

I think for most cases you described above, the 'check-patch.sh' flow will
work for you, and you'll just need to specify your needs in the relevant
files under 'automation' dir in your project,
As described in [1], for e.g, add 'vagrant' pkg to the check-patch.packages
file and perhaps the vagrant repo for the 'check-patch.repos' file, while
writing all your bats tests in check-patch.sh script.

If you'll want to run more complex end-to-end tests which requires
installing oVirt / hosts / etc.. then we need to check how you can
integrate with oVirt System Tests framework.

Feel free to ask for help on infra at ovirt.org or open a ticket @
jira.ovirt.org.

[1]
http://infra-docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/CI/Build_and_test_standards.html

> On Sun, Feb 5, 2017, 8:17 AM Yaniv Kaul <ykaul at redhat.com> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 5, 2017 1:58 PM, "Marc Young" <3vilpenguin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I see emails floating around about Jenkins.
>>
>> Is there a public Jenkins, or possibly one that I can be invited to?
>> I just finished the vagrant provider and
>>

>> Excellent news -  saw it on twitter!
>> Can you send an email to the users mailing list about it?
>> Perhaps even a blog post on ovirt.org?
>>
>> pushed it to rubygems and am
>> currently bringing up a new permanent oVirt server so that i can write
>> some acceptance tests, but having access to a Jenkins and a testable
>> oVirt setup would save me a ton of time.
>>

>> I'm sure it can be integrated nicely to ovirt-system-tests. Let me think
>> about it for awhile.
>> Y.

Eyal Edri
Associate Manager
RHV DevOps
EMEA ENG Virtualization R&D
Red Hat Israel

phone: +972-9-7692018
irc: eedri (on #tlv #rhev-dev #rhev-integ)