[ovirt-devel] oVirt packages for JavaScript development have been updated

Ryan Barry rbarry at redhat.com
Fri Feb 10 16:30:00 UTC 2017

Nothing, but thanks.

It is/was a question of time. I didn't expect the changes to
ovirt-engine-modules to make it into master as quickly as they did (to be
fair, it's been nearly a month since the initial meeting, but that month
passed very quickly prepping for the beta release).

I'm pushing patches to cockpit-ovirt and ovirt-engine-nodejs-modules to get
cockpit-ovirt working on master again now.

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 6:56 AM, Greg Sheremeta <gshereme at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
> wrote:
>
>> Vojtech, can you please help Ryan and Marek with cockpit-ovirt?
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 3:29 PM, Vojtech Szocs <vszocs at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello devs,
>>>
>>> following packages, intended as build-time dependencies of oVirt
>>> JavaScript projects, have been updated:
>>>
>>> * ovirt-engine-nodejs
>>> * ovirt-engine-nodejs-modules
>>> * ovirt-engine-yarn
>>>
>>> If you use those packages, please read on to learn how to adapt your
>>> project. oVirt Dashboard (master) is already adapted and you can use
>>> it as your reference.
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> 1, move your project from npm to Yarn:
>>>
>>> - using nodejs-modules implies that your project moves from npm to
>>> Yarn, please do this as your first step
>>> - make sure to add yarn.lock file to source control: rm -rf
>>> node_modules && yarn install # generates yarn.lock
>>> - your automation/*.packages should contain something like this:
>>>
>>>   ovirt-engine-nodejs-6.9.4
>>>   ovirt-engine-nodejs-modules-1.0.3
>>>   ovirt-engine-yarn-0.19.1
>>>
>>> - since oVirt CI uses yum cache, always specify exact version of
>>> nodejs-modules in your automation/*.packages
>>> - in your RPM build script, make sure to set up Node.js env.: source
>>> /usr/share/ovirt-engine-nodejs-modules/setup-env.sh
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> 2a, dependency handling - 1st time:
>>>
>>> - clone nodejs-modules repo & update the projects.list file - add
>>> URL(s) to your project's files (package.json + yarn.lock)
>>> - bump .z in RPM Version and reset the RPM Release number, submit
>>> patch to Gerrit
>>> - in your project, update automation/*.packages to use the right
>>> nodejs-modules version
>>>
>>> 2b, dependency handling - whenever your dependencies change:
>>>
>>> - clone nodejs-modules repo & bump RPM Release number, submit patch to
>>> Gerrit
>>> - in your project, update automation/*.packages to use the right
>>> nodejs-modules version
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Q: how does the new nodejs-modules work?
>>>
>>> A: instead of maintaining one big package.json file to specify all
>>> dependencies of all projects (effectively forcing all projects to use
>>> single dependency tree), it contains the projects.list file with
>>> URL(s) to specific project files.
>>>
>>> When building nodejs-modules RPM, it goes through the list of URL(s),
>>> downloading project's files (package.json + yarn.lock), then
>>> downloading required dependencies (using Yarn) and collecting their
>>> .tar.gz sources. The nodejs-modules RPM therefore contains a flat list
>>> of all .tar.gz sources of all dependencies of all projects.
>>>
>>> When you source the setup-env.sh script, it does, among other things,
>>> tell Yarn to use
>>> /usr/share/ovirt-engine-nodejs-modules/yarn-offline-cache containing
>>> all .tar.gz sources. Then, it runs Yarn in offline mode to populate

>>> Vojtech