[ovirt-devel] Default MAC address range
Yedidyah Bar David
didi at redhat.com
Sun Nov 19 10:37:28 UTC 2017
The default range went through several changes during the lifetime of
the project - from being small and constant until 3.2, to small and
random in 3.3 until 3.5, back to fixed and small in 3.6, slightly
enlarged (to 1024 addresses) in current master.
In all cases, the address range was taken from the IANA-assigned range
001A4A of Qumranet (now Red Hat) .
I suggest to:
1. Default to a random range again
- So that two or (a few) more setups using the same network segment
are less likely to use the same range
2. One in the locally-administered address range 
- So that we have a larger address range
3. Make it a bit larger, say 65000 addresses
- So that admins do not have to handle this manually, even for large
setups, unless they have specific needs
If there is objection to (2.), we can still have the others - among
the 24 bits in the 001A4A prefix range, choose among the first 8 a
random value during engine-setup, and have the pool of size 16 bits.
Comments/ideas/etc. are welcome.
More information about the Devel