[ovirt-devel] Additional patches in vdsm - post mortem

Piotr Kliczewski piotr.kliczewski at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 15:06:05 UTC 2017

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 4:47 PM, Dan Kenigsberg <danken at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 11:12 AM, Piotr Kliczewski
> <piotr.kliczewski at gmail.com> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> Recently you could notice few patches being merged and later reverted.
>> I would like to say what happened. Sometime ago I pushed a tag to
>> vdsm-jsonrpc-java and later reused that command from my history to
>> push 6 patches [1][2][3][4][5][6] to vdsm for a review. I did not
>> notice that I pushed for `heads/master` instead of `for/master` this
>> caused to bypass gerrit and the patches were merged. When I noticed
>> what happened I pushed [7] to revert it. I hope no-one was affected.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Piotr
>
> Thanks for your report, Piotr.
>
> I believe that [7] should have been sent properly, via gerrit, and not
> by direct git merge. Unless we close git access, errors would happen.
> But when you realize you've made a mistake, better fix via gerrit.

You are right. I should have done it via gerrit. My only justification
is that I wanted to
reduce potential issues that people could have.

> In particular, I think [7] has mistakes; it is not clear to me how you
> have produced it.

I did git revert --no-commit for all the patches. Unfortunately my
source tree was not
clear.

> fc1174c91~ is the last commit before the mess occurred, right? da18b865 is [7].
> But
> $ git diff --name-only fc1174c91~..da18b865|cat
> .cache/v/cache/lastfailed
> init/systemd/systemd-vdsmd
>
> is not empty. It introduces two files with no good reason.

I noticed this as well and pushed [8] which removes those files.

[8] https://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/82648/