[Engine-devel] Stable PCI Addresses design wiki

Ayal Baron abaron at redhat.com
Sun Dec 4 07:23:06 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----

> Send from my iPhone .
>

> On 3 בדצמ 2011, at 20:38, Yaniv Kaul <ykaul at redhat.com> wrote:

> >> It is a different feature ;)

> >> What Miki is looking for, miki please correct me if i am wrong, is
> >> the
> >> ability to change VM configuration while the VM is running and
> >> expect
> >> the changes to apply starting from the next VM run.
> >
> > In addition, turn a reboot of a VM into shutdown + run with the new
> > parameters.
> > That way an admin can tell a user 'I increased your VM's memory,
> > reboot at your own preferred time and you'll have the extra
> > memory'.
> > (of course, hot-plugging memory is cooler).
> > Y.
> Agreed.
> >
> >> For the above feature to be 'complete' Miki wants to be able to
> >> view
> >> what is the VM current configuration (the one used when the VM
> >> started)
> >> and what is the configuration for the next run.
> >>
> >> After the VM is stopped you have only one configuration (the one
> >> for the
> >> next run).
> >>
> >> I guess i can see why you associated it with snapshots, as we can
> >> look
> >> at it as a temporary VM configuration snapshot, but i think it is
> >> another functionality (especially in UI/client perspective).
> I don't mind on what feature you implement this ... I think when you
> design a change in functionality in existing flow, you need to look
> at the broader scope, at that is why I mentioned.

So let's broaden the scope just a little more.  As a user, I would like to be able to revert my configuration changes to "last known good" (and no, I'm not talking about live snapshots, only config changes, because I don't want to revert my data changes on disk).  I would store multiple versions of the config (20?) and let the user go back (without the need to remember what the config was.