[Engine-devel] short research on postgresql enums

Laszlo Hornyak lhornyak at redhat.com
Fri Dec 9 20:43:43 UTC 2011

Hi,

I looked into Mike's database patch ( http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#change,500 ) today and read Yaniv's comment on it. I have seen another patches related to enums and how they are stored in the database. I made a quick test to compare between varchar and enum and the results are here: http://dummywarhead.blogspot.com/2011/12/postgresql-enums-vs-varchar.html

IMO enums could be a good solution, but changing enums could be a pain under postgres 9.1. So what if we could use varchar now and migrate to enum once postgres 9.1 replaces the older installations :)

Laszlo