[Engine-devel] Announcing a proof of concept REST API for VDSM

Adam Litke agl at us.ibm.com
Wed Nov 30 15:50:06 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 04:32:41PM +0100, Geert Jansen wrote:

> On 11/30/2011 04:09 PM, Itamar Heim wrote:
>
> >>How easy is QMF to consume from a software development perspective?
> >>Would it be
> >>easy for someone to write a virsh-like tool against a QMF-based vdsm
> >>API? Would
> >>such a tool be able to run on multiple Linux distributions?
> >
> >it is supposed to have a cli console.
> >cc'ing carl and Ted for more details.
>
> I'm not sure how hard it is technically. But for ISV's, I can tell
> you that almost nobody has experience with it.
>
> But, is this intended to be a public API though?

Yes!  Vdsm already has a 'private' API that only RHEV-m used to consume.  In the
ovirt world, vdsm needs to expose a real public API (by whatever means we
choose) so that external entities (ISVs) can leverage vdsm directly if they so
choose.  This API must be the same one that ovirt-engine uses, otherwise we are
maintaining two incompatible APIs.

--
Adam Litke <agl at us.ibm.com>
IBM Linux Technology Center