[Engine-devel] ovirt-engine repo up in gerrit.ovirt.org!

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn dennisml at conversis.de
Mon Oct 31 11:04:20 UTC 2011

On 10/31/2011 09:34 AM, Juan Hernandez wrote:
> On 10/31/2011 05:55 AM, Itamar Heim wrote:

>>> I don't get an error. The build process simply uses up all memory and
>>> the desktop becomes unusable. If I don't switch to another virtual
>>> terminal and issue a "killall java" then the system would probably die
>>> in the end and require a reboot (or the OOM Killer would step in an kill
>>> some processes before that happens).
>>>
>>> This is a plain Fedora 15 System and I'm following the build
>>> instructions from the wiki so right now there are no custom settings
>>> applied.
>>
>> we are all building on F15, and with less than 8GB as well.
>> which command are you running causing the hang?
>> what does top shows when it hangs?
>> what does maven output show when it hangs (i.e., which part of the
>> project is causing the hang).
>
> The compilation of the GWT applications can take very long (more than 10
> minutes in a core i5 with 8GB) with intensive use of all the CPUs. This
> could be what you are observing. Can try to build without the
> "-Pgwt-user" and "-Pgwt-admin" options? Just to check if this is your issue.

This seems to be the problem. I already sent the information to Yair
Zaslavsky (and Daniel Erez) who contacted me off-list about this (though I
think this really belongs on the list so everybody can chime in).
I attached the output I get. At the end I had to kill the process because
memory usage was at about 99%.

The command I'm running is: mvn install -Pgwt-admin,gwt-user
The system monitor shows cpu usage very low (up to the problematic point
the build seems to spend 90% of its time trying to download jar files from
bogus sources) and memory usage increasing slightly as expected until the
build reaches that last problematic part where all cpu cores go to 100% and
memory usage increases until all memory is consumed.

Regards,
   Dennis