[Engine-devel] Adding VNC support

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Wed Aug 1 04:42:06 UTC 2012

On 07/31/2012 11:44 PM, snmishra at linux.vnet.ibm.com wrote:

> Quoting Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden <ewoud+ovirt at kohlvanwijngaarden.nl>:

>>> But this way you do expose them :)
>>
>> Since I've worked with VNCAuthProxy I'll explain how that works.
>>
>> First of all it listens on a control port. This can be inside the
>> firewall and has a simple JSON-based protocol. On this control port you
>> can ask it to open a connection on port X to virt-host.example.org:Y.
>> virt-host.example.org can also be behind the firewall and now only port
>> X is exposed to the internet.
>
> I am coming from the libvirt/libvirt-cim world and I don't completely
> follow this discussion. In libvrt-cim (higher level layer using libvirt
> to create and manage VMs), we took the input from user on what VNC IP,
> port, vncpassword etc. the user wants to use to access the VM and
> created a libvirt XML using these user provided values. This XML was
> then passed to libvirt which created the new VM and magically set vnc
> up. The user then opened any VNC viewer of their choice to access the
> VM. If ovirt is using libvirt, why can't we use the same magic?

that's already implemented today - you can click the UI to get a dialog
with the vnc details and open the session yourself.
the thread discussed something which will launch vnc from the browser
for you.
launching from browser has 3 ways:
- browser wrapper - activex, xpi, etc.
- mime based
- html based - like the novnc client
(well, also java applet based but less used today)