[Engine-devel] engine-config utility

Alon Bar-Lev alonbl at redhat.com
Tue Dec 4 11:11:52 UTC 2012

Hello,

I had interesting discussion with Eli regarding the engine-config utility and recent commit.

Is the following claim correct?

"""Every change of a variable by engine-config cannot break engine"""

This issue came up because we used to export the CABaseDirectory parameter to engine-config. Changing it without attending to copy pki files may lead to failure. A change was already committed to remove the ability to update this parameter.

Most applications I know, do allow to change variable that in certain cases may break the application. The assumption that I am usually familiar with is that the target audience of these kind of tools are system admins or integrators, which "should know what they are doing", so it is OK to expose parameters that may lead to application breakage, as the ability to customize the application is important.

I am carious what other think in this regard.

Regards,
Alon Bar-Lev.