[Engine-devel] host cpu feature

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Wed Dec 5 12:55:19 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 06:46:09AM -0500, Laszlo Hornyak wrote:

> [...]

I join Kaul's question: it is an ovirt-level question whether
hostPassthrough or hostModel or both should be supported. It should not
be a unilateral vdsm decision.

> If AllowMigrateCPUHost is set to true (in case you have the same cpu model everywhere in your DC) migration of such hsots will be enabled. Otherwise it will not be enabled.

What is the breadth of AllowMigrateCPUHost? Engine wide? Per DC? Per cluster?
I favor the latter; a user may have a cluster of exact-same hosts, where
hostcpu migration is allowed, and other cluster where it is forbiden.

The nice thing about hostModel (unlike hostPassthrough) is that once we
created the VM we can migrate it to stronger hosts, and back to the
original host. I suppose that it complicates the scheduler.