[Engine-devel] Error on starting webadmin

Roy Golan rgolan at redhat.com
Thu Dec 13 14:55:48 UTC 2012

On 12/13/2012 04:49 PM, Vojtech Szocs wrote:
>> this is making the contribution process more complex. lets think of a
>> lighter way to get a developing setup.
> I agree, I just wanted to have the local Engine configuration steps documented for reference.. If there's a better way to do it, I'm for it.
>
> Vojtech

having LocalConfig look for "engine.conf.defaults" system property
before fallback to System.getenv("ENGINE_DEFAULTS");
  +  concatenating -Dengine.conf.defaults=$HOME/.engine.conf.defaults
to  JAVA_OPTS  on standalone.conf

>>> [org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[jboss.web].[default-host].[/webadmin].[WebAdminDynamicHosting]]
>>> (http--0.0.0.0-8700-1) Servlet.service() for servlet
>>> WebAdminDynamicHosting threw exception:
>>> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The property "ENGINE_USR"
>>> doesn't have a value.
>>>
>>> It caused by the PluginDataManager instantiation which requires
>>> several variables to be defined.
>>>
>>> In order to by pass those errors do:
>>> 1. create a file /usr/share/ovirt-engine/conf/engine.conf.defaults
>>> 2. Add the following properties to the file:
>>> ENGINE_USR=username
>>> ENGINE_ETC=/etc/ovirt-engine
>>> 3. restart Jboss
>> You can use the 'engine.conf.defaults' that resides at 'backend/manager/conf'.
>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Moti