[Engine-devel] Error on starting webadmin

Roy Golan rgolan at redhat.com
Sun Dec 16 07:57:12 UTC 2012

On 12/14/2012 01:25 PM, Juan Hernandez wrote:
>>> I agree, I just wanted to have the local Engine configuration steps documented for reference.. If there's a better way to do it, I'm for it.
>>>
>>> Vojtech
>> having LocalConfig look for "engine.conf.defaults" system property
>> before fallback to System.getenv("ENGINE_DEFAULTS");
>>    +  concatenating -Dengine.conf.defaults=$HOME/.engine.conf.defaults
>> to  JAVA_OPTS  on standalone.conf
> How is the system property simpler than the environment variable?
>
> I agree that this makes the development process a bit more complex at
> the moment, but I think that the way to make it simpler is not to
> continue adding things to standalone.conf. I think that we should move
> towards a development environment that is closer to the production
> environment, not the other way around.
till certain point. that's why we have an installation script for
production and "make install" for a developer
- alternatively, if(!) its easy and smooth we can run the engine-setup
with an answer file  or just a "dev" flag than we can call it from the
-Psetup profile and
make a unified process

>   Ideally the developer should be
> able to do something like "make install" to have the engine deployed to
> a directory structure similar to what he have in the production
> environment.
+1 and this is where the dev setup should end.
>   Then you should be able to go to the bin directory inside
> that structure and start the engine (and the other tools) using the same
> script that we use in production environments. If we achieve this goal
> then we have a simple development environment setup and also we have all
> developers testing almost the same thing that will go into the
> production environments.
again agree but only if its simple (minimum steps, don't have to follow
a long and detailed wiki) and fast.