[Engine-devel] ThreadPoolUtil with 500 threads and no queue?

Livnat Peer lpeer at redhat.com
Sun Dec 16 09:23:23 UTC 2012

On 12/12/12 18:06, Juan Hernandez wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> What is the reasoning behind the decision to have a pool with a maximum
> of 500 threads and no job queue (see ThreadPoolUtil.java)? Wouldn't it
> make more sense to have a much smaller thread pool and a potentially
> large queue of jobs?

Hi Juan,
I think there is no right/wrong number, as Kublin added on this thread
there are several approaches to address this issue.

My 2 cents on this is that a change should be based on a given workload
profile. Any given solution would suits specific workload and hurt
another, as long as we are not sure what is the common workload our
users use I would make any change configurable and write a
recommendation on how to configure it.
For writing such document one should characterized few typical usages of
the system and test what is the preferred configuration for them.

Livnat