[Engine-devel] [vdsm] Host bios information

Barak Azulay bazulay at redhat.com
Sun Dec 16 16:24:08 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

I totally agree that in the long run it is correct to add a different API on vdsm,
However for the initial 6 bios params:

1. Host Manufacturer - Manufacturer of the host's machine and bios' vendor (e.g LENOVO)
2. Host Version - For each host the manufacturer gives a unique name (e.g. Lenovo T420s)
3. Host Product Name - ID of the product - same for all similar products (e.g 4174BH4)
4. Host UUID - Unique ID for each host (e.g E03DD601-5219-11CB-BB3F-892313086897)
5. Host Family - Type of host's CPU - (e.g Core i5)
6. Host Serial Number - Unique ID for host's chassis (e.g R9M4N4G)

As Dan stated below, is o.k. for this specific phase to add them to getVdsCaps

So I suggest:
1 Adding the above 6 above params to getVdsCaps
2 Add a new API to vdsm to retrieve host bios information - that will eventually return the entire list (current will retrieve the exact 6 params and will use the same underlying implementation)
3 In the future engine will start using the new API

Start using the new API now on the engine side will require much more testing as it might have an influence on the host state machine.

Thanks
Barak Azulay