[Engine-devel] Managing async tasks

Ayal Baron abaron at redhat.com
Mon Dec 17 22:24:48 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> This is an addendum to my previous email.

Saggi,

When running an async operation (not task, operation), I want an indication of when it finishes.  This can be either an event sent to me or via polling or by divine intervention, but this is basic information that is required.

Polling for a specific end state is wrong because there can be multiple end states (success, failure 1, failure 2, maybe even multiple options for success, etc).
>From the call I get the feeling that you do support having this just not having it persisted across restarts of the service?
If so, then let's discuss the semantics of what can be reported while vdsm doesn't crash.
If not then in addition to not agreeing with you on this, I have additional problems.  For example, when an operation ends with failure, it is insufficient to know that it failed. I want to know *why* it failed.  Without changing something there is no reason to believe that trying again would succeed.  Without indication of reason of failure I'd just be shooting in the dark.

To keep the discussion focused I will stop here to let you comment.