[Engine-devel] CPU Overcommit Feature

Doron Fediuck dfediuck at redhat.com
Wed Dec 19 12:18:18 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

Hi Dennis.
Let's take it one at a time;
UI wise, this is a cluster level policy, and falls into the optimization
tab. So it shouldn't complicate things unless you're looking for specific
optimization. In which-case, I'd expect you to know what HT is all about,
and what should be the proper settings. Additionally, you now may observe
the HT status in the general sub-tab of the hosts.

Functionality wise, some users actually expects 8 cores to be counted as 16
when HT is on, since they need to utilize it based on their experience
and tests. The efficiency factor HT will provide is something which varies
from one workload to another and from one hardware to another as already
mentioned. The default state of HT optimization is off, so it shouldn't bother
you if you're not interested in such optimization.

Once you start utilizing it, if you turn off the HT in one or more of the
cluster hosts (BIOS setting, requires reboot!), vdsm will report it to the
engine, so the correct number of cores will be used when scheduling a target
host for running or migrating a VM.

Hope this helps,
Doron