[Engine-devel] [SUGGESTION] Defining a process for the new feature discussion/implementation.

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Thu Dec 20 22:15:13 UTC 2012

On 12/21/2012 12:12 AM, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:

> [...]
>>> (requirements/constraints/etc.)
>>> 2. summarise feature details in feature-doc
>>> 3. send feature-doc to review to:
>>>      3.1 ML (engine-devel)
>>>      3.2 MG (mailing group of maintainers of the relevant layers)
>>> 4. after feature-doc is accepted,
>>>      4.1 implement the feature
>>>      4.2 send it to gerrit for review to:
>>>          4.2.1 lead maintainer/s (they will review/delegate it)
>>>

>>> NOTE 3.2, 4.2.1 will require defining MGs such as:
>>>         - engine-devel-core
>>>         - engine-devel-ui
>>>         - engine-devel-api
>>>         - engine-devel-sdk
>>>         - engine-devel-cli
>>>         - engine-devel-vdsm ...
>>>

>>> Thoughts?
>>>

>> i thought this is what we have the arch mailing list for, since any
>> feature is going to cut through multiple layers/components, unless
>> they
>> are very specific, they should be sent to arch, and all maintainers
>> should follow arch.
>
> What is missing is upstream bugzilla.
>
> A feature, after initiate stage should be represented with a bug.
> The bug should be assigned to the right designated milestone.
> All document references (including versions) should be attached or referred by the bug.
> Dependency between features can be established using bug dependencies.
> Status can be acquired from buzilla at any time, progress reports should be input into bugzilla.
> Contact details for the feature can be acquired too, relevant and interested parties can be CCed explicitly.
> I guess I can add more benefits.
>
> Mailing list is good for idea initiation, but not for lifecycle management, nor for people to join at implementation phase and understand why, how and when.
>
> Having upstream bugzilla will also help us plan ahead, and manage the break the project into smaller components, to assign core developers for each.

it still won't help tracking all relevant maintainers from rest api, ui,
engine, vdsm saw the bug. we have multiple components.
arch is mostly to cover cross component issues, such as features.
(or we could create a feature mailing list).

but i do agree we could use bugzilla for tracking features per version,
if wiki isn't tracking this correctly.