[Engine-devel] Stable Device Addresses HLD/LLD for tomorrow meeting (15:00 GMT+1)

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Sun Jan 1 21:08:18 UTC 2012

On 12/28/2011 06:52 PM, Eli Mesika wrote:
> High level design :
> http://www.ovirt.org/wiki/Features/Design/StableDeviceAddresses
>
> Low level design :
> http://www.ovirt.org/wiki/Features/Design/DetailedStableDeviceAddresses
> (probably will be modified until the meeting)

1. " hash -- holds the md5 like encryption indicating a change "

I don't think "encryption" is relevant here.

2. VMOldInfoManager

how will we know/flag when we expect it can be deleted?
("Old" is relative. what if you will need to create another OldOld
class? maybe something more specific like 3_0, so you know you can
delete it when you no longer have 3_0 clusters supported?)

3. "Addresses are kept in the database as a plain-text strings"
at some point we will want to expose this to users. maybe a better
representation would be in order (could be handled later as part of
upgrade process i guess).

4. video cards
you mention only spice - what happens to VNC monitors?

5. floppy/cd-rom
expect there will be more than one cd-rom (looks as the most probably
solution to user data injection afaiu)

6. virtio-serial
you mention it in the beginning, but not afterwards wrt implementation
details. there may be multiple of these (qemu-ga, ovirt-guest-agent,
spice-vd-agent?)