[Engine-devel] Stable Device Addresses HLD/LLD for tomorrow meeting (15:00 GMT+1)

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Wed Jan 4 01:46:51 UTC 2012

Dor/Alon - a question below.
more comments inline.

On 01/03/2012 11:16 PM, Eli Mesika wrote:
>> From: "Itamar Heim"<iheim at redhat.com>

>> Subject: Re: [Engine-devel] Stable Device Addresses HLD/LLD for tomorrow meeting (15:00 GMT+1)
>>
>> On 12/28/2011 06:52 PM, Eli Mesika wrote:
>>> High level design :
>>> http://www.ovirt.org/wiki/Features/Design/StableDeviceAddresses
>>>
>>> Low level design :
>>> http://www.ovirt.org/wiki/Features/Design/DetailedStableDeviceAddresses
>>> (probably will be modified until the meeting)

>> 4. video cards
>> you mention only spice - what happens to VNC monitors?
> Handled already, look on HLD for
>   'qxl' - spice device,  'cirrus' - vnc device

iirc, there is supposed to be something around being able to use both
vnc or spice (mutually exclusive) without rebooting the guest.
i.e., user would be able to connect with either one of these protocols
Dor/Alon?

another item (shouldn't affect design i hope, but just in case):
I just heard spice multi monitor support for linux guests may work
differently than for windows.
in windows we expose 4 video cards.
for linux we may need to create one card with 4 times the memory.

>> 6. virtio-serial
>> you mention it in the beginning, but not afterwards wrt
>> implementation
>> details. there may be multiple of these (qemu-ga, ovirt-guest-agent,
>> spice-vd-agent?)
>
> I think those will be handled as (un-managed) vm-device abd by definition can have multiple entries

but having/not having spice configured would affect the need for one of
them (spice-vd-agent)
and cluster compatibility would affect the need for the qemu-ga one (not
sure if that would be configurable or assumed as default for all guests)