[Engine-devel] Is there a 'Can run this VM?' query

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Mon Jan 9 07:36:34 UTC 2012

Beaker automated test system (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Beaker)
would like to integrate with the project, via the REST API.
Their main concern is that they'll provision VMs who would not be able
to run on the ovirt setup.
I think there are two cases here:
1. Provisioning a VM with X vCPUs, while there isn't a host available
with such number of pCPUs (or similar in memory) - this is easier, as it
can be 'calculated' from the setup beforehand and we can avoid such
provisioning.
2. More difficult - in runtime, the hosts are over-committed and we
cannot run a VM - can we, before trying to run a VM, ask if it's
feasible? I know it's a point in time, and may be wrong in the next
second, but if we go 'no' as an answer, it already provides good
information to Beaker to continue and look elsewhere.
Y.