[Engine-devel] Low Level design for HotPlug/HotUnplug feature

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Mon Jan 9 09:45:55 UTC 2012

On 01/09/2012 11:21 AM, Michael Kublin wrote:
> Hi, the follow link is providing a low level design for HotPlug/HotUnplug feature : http://www.ovirt.org/wiki/Features/DetailedHotPlug .
>
> The feature is simple and design is short
>
> Regards Michael

1. Corrected some typos, spelling, backend->engine, 'REST API' ->
'API',  etc.  (didn't fix ' storage procedures' - but I think you've
meant 'stored procedures' ?).
2. Missing/questions:
- Permissions? Quota?
- Explain how disk is created in the first place.
- Database (tables, etc.)
- Which cluster level is required?
- Is it an async or sync task?
- Can you plug a system disk?
- Can you unplug multiple at a time?
- What happens when you plug too many?
- How do you determine where (PCI bus-wise) to plug them?
- Any CanDoAction to allow/disallow plug/unplug from specific systems?
- I suspect we'd be happier with some agent cooperation before
unplugging - is this done by QEMU? Not detailed anywhere.
- Link to KVM/QEMU feature description for it, if such exist, would be nice.
- Does it affect taking a snapshot? Live or not?
- Does it affect exporting a VM? I reckon you export with all disks,
with their plug/unplug status?

Y.