[Engine-devel] Low Level design for HotPlug/HotUnplug feature

Ayal Baron abaron at redhat.com
Sun Jan 15 10:35:26 UTC 2012

[SNIP]

> > > The operation will be allowed only for RHEL 5/6, Windows Server
> > > 2003 and Windows server 2008 operating systems, added to design

IMO this behaviour is wrong.  We should not prevent user from running hot plug on an unsupported system, just warn that this operation might fail and can crash the VM (downstream versions can warn that it is unsupported).
E.g. if user installed a service pack on a windows not listed that adds support for hotplug, why should we prevent running the action?
or worse, a new windows version is released and users of the existing system would not be able to hot plug.

Alternatively, the list of OSs on which this works can be customizable by user in which case a knowledgeable user would modify at her own risk.

IIRC there is an 'other' os type when creating a VM, why block on this? again, either warn or allow customizing behaviour.

This is not currently planned, but should definitely be on the road map (need to add to the feature page and state that it will not be covered in 3.1)