[Engine-devel] a different approach to the command classes

Omer Frenkel ofrenkel at redhat.com
Tue Jan 17 08:05:15 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

i agree as well

> > One thing I don't like in the above suggestion is the way you
> > validate
> > that the previous condition succeeded/failed. Having this condition
> > at
> > the beginning of each validation method is not a good approach IMO.
> >

> In addition, it prevents from independent validations (inside the
> same
> canDoAction) to report on several validation failures in a single
> execution instead of getting a single failure, rerun the command
> again,
> get another failure and on...
> This is the reason why the type of canDoActionMessages is a List.

actually this is how it works today in most cases, i think its not bad,
some checks relay on the fact that if this check is executed,
then it's safe to do things, for example - first check validates vm is not null,
second check use the vm, assuming its not null.

i would go further and make the validation methods return boolean and call them in that way:

    public boolean canDoAction() {
      ...return
        checkTargetDomainHasSpace() &&
        checkTargetDomainIsValidTarget() &&
        checkSourceDomainIsValidSource() &&
        checkSourceAndTargetAreDifferent();
}

private void checkTargetDomainHasSpace() {
 if(!targetDomainValidator.hasSpace(getParameters().getDiskImageId()))
 {
   addCanDoActionMessage(VdcBllMessages.ACTION_TYPE_FAILED_DISK_SPACE_LOW);
   reutrn false;
 }
 return true;
}