[Engine-devel] Question about CloneVMFromSnapshot feature in context of shared disks and direct LUNs-based disks

Yair Zaslavsky yzaslavs at redhat.com
Thu Jan 19 06:38:40 UTC 2012

Hi all,
Following the upstream meeting dated Wednesday January 18th, 2012 -
I presented the clone VM from snpashot feature and we discussed the
feature behaviour.

Two issues that were raised are the behaviour of the feature in context
of shared disks and direct LUNs-based disks -
On one hand, if we copy&collapse such images - this may yield to data
corruption (think of a scenario where the source and destination VMs use
the same disk).
On the other hand - if we decide not to copy&collapse  - the target VM
will have missing VM and its state will not totally reflect the logical
state.
One of the solution raises is to mark such disks (at the destination) as
unplugged, allowing the administrator the ability to plug them
(understanding of course the consequences).

I would like to receive inputs on this issue

Kind regards,

Yair