[Engine-devel] VM Payload feature

Ayal Baron abaron at redhat.com
Thu Jan 19 14:05:08 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> Hey all,
>
> Continuing the discussion about Aeolus instance data injection to a
> VM
> (http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/engine-devel/2012-January/000423.html)
> we propose a new VM Payload feature.
>
> The following wiki page contains a description page of the feature.
> http://www.ovirt.org/wiki/Features/VMPayload
>
> Please read and review.
> There are several approaches there, and we wish to head your opinions
> and thoughts about them.
>
> Once we agree on an approach, we will start designing.

Permanent payload availability requires determining where the payload is stored.
Makes sense to me to store it together with the VM disks on the storage domain, but that requires the small object store which will not be available in the coming version (payloads can be large and keeping them in the DB and passing over the net every time the VM is run doesn't make much sense).

Wrt availability, I don't see a reason to exclude attaching both a CD and a payload via another CD at the same time (i.e. multiple devices).