[Engine-devel] Question about CloneVMFromSnapshot feature in context of shared disks and direct LUNs-based disks

Yair Zaslavsky yzaslavs at redhat.com
Sun Jan 22 09:26:13 UTC 2012

On 01/22/2012 09:26 AM, Livnat Peer wrote:
> On 20/01/12 17:21, Itamar Heim wrote:

Livnat - I think that in case of creating a template from snapshot we
should should have new API/Command, that will probably have lots in
common with Create VM from snapshot.

> What you suggested is creating a VM from VM.
> Although I see how the two are connected, I think they should be modeled
> as two different API calls.
> There is a difference in the flow, behavior, locks and parameters
> between the two.
>
> Behavior:
> - Original VM has to be down for creating a VM from VM, not the case for
> creating a VM from snapshot.
>
> parameters:
> - Creating VM from snapshot should support getting a snapshot-ID,
> Creating VM from VM get a VM id
>
> Locks:
> - When creating a VM from VM, we need to lock the original VM as a
> whole, we can not edit the VM, take snapshot or any other VM level
> action while such operation is active.
> While for creating the VM from snapshot we can take more fine-grained
> locks (only image related locks).
>
> Implementation:
> Well it is simply another implementation.
+1 on Livnat's explanation - I do see a (design/implementation wise) an
option for some code reuse, but IMHO - this should be a new command with
new API modelling