[Engine-devel] 'deactivate' disk - what's the use case?

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Tue Jun 12 09:40:08 UTC 2012

On 06/12/2012 12:34 PM, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 06/12/2012 12:25 PM, Yaniv Kaul wrote:
>> I'm wondering what's the usefulness of having dual action of attach +
>> activate to get a disk properly attached and working in a VM (and the
>> deactivate and detach counterparts).
>>
>> The only reason I can think of is that we've annoyed the user by this
>> useless dual action when working with storage domains in a data center
>> for ages, and we wish to remain consistent and annoy the user in the
>> disks scenario as well, but there may be a reason I'm not aware of.
>
> deactivated is like having a disk in offline, or hot unplugging when
> you still want to retain it in the context of the vm configuration

I understand that, I just argue it's quite useless (offline can be done
from within the guest OS), does not work that way in physical hardware
(offline is a logical action within the OS), has very little value to
the RHEV Admin (unless he's paranoid and afraid that the disk will
become float and someone else would 'steal' it from his VM) and is
annoying to require multiple actions.
Y.