[Engine-devel] Disk Cloning When Creating a VM via a Template

Ayal Baron abaron at redhat.com
Tue May 1 23:32:31 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> Okay, I'll have a look at master and play around with things a little
> bit.  Thanks for that insight, Ayal!  So, when a VM is cloned from a
> template, all disks associated with the template are cloned to go
> with the new VM, correct?  Could I do something similar with the
> floating disks and just clone all of the associated disks from a VM?

I think there is some misunderstanding here.
A floating disk is a disk which is not associated with any VM, so what are all of the associated disks? The only place where different disks have any relation to each other us within the context of a VM.
Note that if you clone while engine thinks you're creating a qcow snapshot then you'd need to handle merge (snapshot delete) differently as well