[Engine-devel] oVirt and Quantum

Irena Berezovsky irenab at mellanox.com
Thu May 3 09:02:42 UTC 2012

Gary,
Thank you for a very detailed proposal.
I would like to address several issues of the proposed Quantum-oVirt integration.

1. User Interface:
Network Management
I suggest to consider Logical Network Management to indicate if the Network should be managed by Quantum or not. This may lead to different options that user can specify via UI. It can have a Network Type attribute. Maybe it is a place to consider custom properties piggy-backing.

Host management
As long as the proposed API is used for viewing interface it's OK. It just should not be required by user to go over each Host and define each interface with type of Fabric he should manage. Maybe it should be some defaults on Cluster level (will work for Homogenous cluster).

2. Back End
Network Creation:
	If not every Host in the cluster has Quantum supporting interface, it should be forbidden to apply VM migrate operation to such Host. This probably should be indicated properly via UI and Backed should not start the migrate process.

VM Creation:
	To be able to extend the basic Quantum API and add some QoS/Port Profile attributes to the port ( like in Cisco plugin). There should be some way in oVirt to map between port uuid (+ network)and VM id.

VM Migrate:
	Even though it's just an initial suggestion, I think that VM migration use case should be elaborated also for 'else' cases. What happens if target Host does not support Quantum? What happens if target host fails to run VM? Another issue is a lack of calls to Quantum. For my understanding (but I can be wrong) in OpenStack it will issue unplug and plug attachment calls.

3. VDSM
Host Management: Any suggestion /plans to define a way to write and deploy a Vif plug Driver ( a complimentary part to the Quantum Agent)?

Regards,
Irena