[Engine-devel] REST-API: Exposing correlation-ID

Ori Liel oliel at redhat.com
Thu May 3 14:24:02 UTC 2012

Correlation-ID feature allows 'tagging' a call to a Backend command
with a String ID, and this ID will be appended to all log messages
that result from this command.

http://www.ovirt.org/wiki/Features/TaskManagerDetailed

In REST-API, we would like to enable the user to pass a correlation-ID
when he activates actions.

I have two questions:

1) what's the name you'd give this parameter? job-id? batch-id?
flow-id? command-id? correlation-id???

2) I've already implemented this as a url parameter. Are there objections?
The only viable alternative I see is as an http header, which doesn't feel
right. It's not an option to pass it in the XML body, because sometimes
there is no body, for example, in DELETE commands.

Thanks

Ori.