[Engine-devel] Questions on NIC hotplug (http://www.ovirt.org/wiki/Features/Design/DetailedHotlugNic)

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Sun May 13 12:12:28 UTC 2012

1. I wasn't sure from the description, but can one change the Network to
which a NIC is connected to when it's up? (looks like a much lighter and
reasonable action than unplugging-changing-plugging. Also very easy to
do in the physical world). I'm quite sure there's a request for such a
feature.
2. The REST API usage of 'activate' and 'deactivate' is certainly not
inline with the UI's terminology, which is not only a shame, but is also
(to me) confusing with setting the NIC's link up/down (which is possible
in QEMU, not sure if we do it in oVirt). the UI concept of arrows also
seem to support 'up'/'down' ...
3. Donno if it's just the mock ups, but lets try to use 'Network Card'
over 'NIC' where possible.
4. I'm not sure why do we need the 'plug' and 'unplug' buttons, and
can't do it in the 'Edit' dialog box. I think it's confusing.
5. How do I create a non-plugged NIC via the API? How do I see if a VM's
NIC is plugged or not via the API?
6. SDK example would be great too.