[Engine-devel] restapi: New params for import VM/Template

Michael Pasternak mpastern at redhat.com
Wed May 16 11:01:07 UTC 2012

On 05/16/2012 01:16 PM, Gilad Chaplik wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am adding the ability to import a VM or a Template to a storage-domain,
> when this VM or Template already exists in the destination storage domain.
> Until now, Backend failed this. Now I want to enable the user to specify
> that he wishes this VM/Template will be created again by a different name,
> i.e - cloned.
>
> [feature page: http://www.ovirt.org/wiki/Features/ImportMoreThanOnce]
>
> I plan to achieve this using a new parameter, but I want to reach an agreement
> about this parameter's name. I thought simply to call it "clone".
>
> Another thing that I'll do in the patch-set is add the currently-missing ability
> to specify whether the snapshots of the VM, which is being imported, will
> be collapsed into a single snapshot (we have this ability in GUI). I am also
> deliberating about the name of this parameter. I thought about
> "collapse_snapshots" (same as in GUI).
>
> Does anyone think "clone" and "collapse_snapshots" are inappropriate and has

/clone/ already in-use (used to clone vm from template),

<vm>
  <disks>
    <clone>true|false</clone>
...,

you can simply say if imported vm has <name> element, this is import+clone, otherwise import,
as about collapse_snapshots, i don't mind, but this should be done in the way <clone> is implemented
in <disks> collection

--

Michael Pasternak
RedHat, ENG-Virtualization R&D