[Engine-devel] restapi: New params for import VM/Template

Michael Pasternak mpastern at redhat.com
Thu May 17 07:45:48 UTC 2012

On 05/17/2012 09:43 AM, Livnat Peer wrote:

>> Going FW it would be nice to override parameters in import vm/template
>

> I agree with you and that's why -
>
> As a user I don't think there should be a difference in the API between:
> - Importing a VM and changing it's name
> - Importing a VM for the second time
>
> The reason you want to add artificial difference between the two
> scenarios above is because currently there are implementations
> limitations (changing the image ID while importing is not supported yet)
>
> I think that we should solve the limitations in the implementation
> instead of making our API cumbersome (implicit clone by name and adding
> some clone entity are both bad IMO).

1. please read carefully my previous email with pseudocode on this thread
(it also works for if_exist by id), it's enabling parameters override and
it's not /implicit clone by name/, but explicit error when clone is required.

2. the solution i suggested is in engine and not api.

--

Michael Pasternak
RedHat, ENG-Virtualization R&D