[Engine-devel] custom properties sheet feature page

Einav Cohen ecohen at redhat.com
Thu May 17 14:14:37 UTC 2012

Almost; the "please select a key..." row is still always displayed; question is if we want to save a button-click (your suggestion) or to have a "cleaner" sheet (my suggestion).

> > i.e., instead of your suggestion, which looks like this:
> >
> >  [ key1                     |v] [ value ] [+] [-]
> >  [ key2                     |v] [ value ] [+] [-]
> >  [ key3                     |v] [ value ]     [-]
> >  [ "please select a key..." |v]
> >
> > it will be "prettier" like this:
> >
> >  [ key1                     |v] [ value ] [+] [-]
> >  [ key2                     |v] [ value ] [+] [-]
> >  [ key3                     |v] [ value ] [+] [-]
> >
> > and only if clicking on [+], it will be:
> >
> >  [ key1                     |v] [ value ] [+] [-]
> >  [ key2                     |v] [ value ] [+] [-]
> >  [ key3                     |v] [ value ] [+] [-]
> >  [ "please select a key..." |v]
> >
> > I believe that auto-sorting can be confusing, as it can result in
> > rows "jumping" up and down whenever changing the selection(s) in
> > the Key drop-down(s),
>
> this could be sort of mitigated by sorting server-side upon
> modification.
>
> >  therefore I don't think it is a good idea to implement it here.
>
> OTOH if we're to be manual sorting friendly, we should allow
> rearranging
> of the rows by drag & drop or by some sort of move up/down buttons
> and
> the dialog would start to be cluttered.
>
> I don't really like either of these but auto-sort is slightly better
> IMO
> as it is kept consistent accross various VMs without user
> interaction.

Indeed, auto-sort will keep the order consistent across all VMs.
However, maybe the user would like to see the properties in the order in which he filled them; in this case, your suggestion of "move up/down buttons" is probably relevant here.

I believe that the majority of use-cases won't require more than 2 or 3 custom properties per VM, so sorting won't be that critical, therefore I assume we can start without it; I will add "sorting" to the "open issues" section in the wiki page.