[Engine-devel] custom properties sheet feature page

Einav Cohen ecohen at redhat.com
Fri May 18 09:12:54 UTC 2012

Note that in your suggestion above, you cannot insert a new key in between existing keys - only at the end; so
although "cleaner", it has less functionality (depends also on the sorting, which is another issue; if there is auto-sorting, it doesn't matter).
It is also a matter of taste, I guess, so no absolute right or wrong here IMO.
[Others - you are welcome to comment as well]

> > > If the [+] button in my proposal is just greyed out instead of
> > > ommited,
> > > it could satisfy both requirements.
> >
> > Almost; the "please select a key..." row is still always displayed;
> > question is if we want to save a button-click (your suggestion) or
> > to have a "cleaner" sheet (my suggestion).

> > > this could be sort of mitigated by sorting server-side upon
> > > modification.

> > > OTOH if we're to be manual sorting friendly, we should allow
> > > rearranging
> > > of the rows by drag & drop or by some sort of move up/down
> > > buttons
> > > and
> > > the dialog would start to be cluttered.
> > >
> > > I don't really like either of these but auto-sort is slightly
> > > better
> > > IMO
> > > as it is kept consistent accross various VMs without user
> > > interaction.
> >
> > Indeed, auto-sort will keep the order consistent across all VMs.
> > However, maybe the user would like to see the properties in the
> > order in which he filled them; in this case, your suggestion of
> > "move up/down buttons" is probably relevant here.
> >
> > I believe that the majority of use-cases won't require more than 2
> > or 3 custom properties per VM, so sorting won't be that critical,
> > therefore I assume we can start without it; I will add "sorting"
> > to the "open issues" section in the wiki page.
> >

> That seems as more argument in favor of auto sorting.

Or no sorting at all (i.e. simply display in order of filling)...
In any case, open issue has been added to the wiki.