[Engine-devel] network features review

Simon Grinberg simon at redhat.com
Tue May 22 14:42:47 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

Did not read the entire thread yet, but just relating to this one.
Current behaviour is not OK in any case, engine only supports setting default gateway on the management network - not on a selected network. This is not always the case.
Actually many times the management network will be segregated where the engine and the nodes are on the same VLAN - no need for default gateway, while the clients are on the remote network thus the default gateway is requested to be on the Display network.

The simple solution to properly support a single default gateway as interface independent is to place it in /etc/sysconfig/network. And remove it from a specific network dialogue. Make it a host level config.

The only misleading information you gave is that if engine will provide a GATEWAY per network and then a hosts level config in /etc/sysconfig/network this will allow for per network gateway + one default gateway. This is not the case and when testing that I realized it does not work. This is why I did not open the RFE we've discussed

I'm still investigating how to support multiple gateways, probably through iproute2 policy tables. However this change is not trivial so I recommend ATM to focus on the relevantly minor change of setting host level gateway and not network level.

Simon.