[Engine-devel] CPU Pinning @engine

Ayal Baron abaron at redhat.com
Thu May 24 07:02:58 UTC 2012

<SNIP>

> Design updated, so pinning is not blocked, unless user will block it
> (pin to host, etc).
> UI will be updated shortly. Please review-
> http://www.ovirt.org/wiki/Features/Design/cpu-pinning

What happens if VM is not pinned to host but the other checkbox with the very long description is checked (i.e. only user initiated migrations), upon startup the system would automatically choose a host but from that point on not migrate unless user chooses to do so?

The different combinations of the following leave me feeling that this is over complicated (or presented in a confusing manner):
1. Specific host
2. Run VM on Selected Host
3. Allow VM migration only upon Administrator...

a. Is 1 supposed to be "Preferred host" ? i.e. should run on it if possible but not mandate it (and auto migrate is enabled and also probably also auto migrate back to it when possible)
b. if using 1 + 2 - Vm is pinned to host? ("Run VM on Selected Host" is the wrong terminology imo)
c. if using 1 + 3 - VM preferred host is specified (could start on different host in case of pressure) and no auto migrate (if started on non preferred host then will not auto-migrate to preferred host)
d. ~1 (not specific host) + 3 - start wherever but only user initiated migrations are allowed.
e. I assume 2+3 cannot coexist as well as ~1+2
f. ~1 + ~3 - Regular VM (system chooses where to run it and it auto migrates).