[Engine-devel] Network Wiring

Moti Asayag masayag at redhat.com
Tue Nov 13 19:55:22 UTC 2012

On 11/13/2012 07:58 PM, Simon Grinberg wrote:
> From the summary:
> "...It supports the following actions without unplugging the Vnic, and it maintains the device address of the Vnic ...."
>
> But in the dialogue section:
> "If the Vnic is plugged there should be a message on top of the dialog "Please notice, changing Type or MAC will cause unplugging and plugging the Vnic"
>
> Looking at the detailed design indeed any change indeed goes through plug/unplug.
> Please correct me if I got the above wrong.

Changing the network (rewiring network) is done using new API with VDSM,
updateVmInteface.

Therefore plug/unplug won't be executed for any of:
1. Changing the network to other network or disconnecting/unwiring it).
2. Update the name of the VM (db only).

Other changes to VM properties (i.e. MAC address, driver type) will
require the plug/unplug. Same goes to any explicit 'unplug' command.

> To support real live rewire == "Move a card from one network to another"
> The sequence should be for wired-plugged card:
> - Unwire
> - Change network
> - Rewire
>
> I would argue that we should actually force the user to perform these steps, but we can do it in one go.

The intention is to use the new API VDSM.libvirtVm.updateVmInteface for
performing the network rewire in a single command.