[Engine-devel] Network Wiring

Simon Grinberg simon at redhat.com
Sun Nov 18 11:28:01 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

Indeed :)

Plus consider the use case of hooks providing the networking - they still need the engine to assign the MAC and type (like the CISCO hook).
If you force a logical network on each nic, it means you have to invent a dummy LN and define it as non-required and set the global config to allow VMs to run on hosts that do not have this networks - Too messy. Though sometimes desirable since the network name may be a hint to the hook, there are cases it's not.

-> No LN means this VM can run on any host! with implicit assumption that someone else takes care of connecting it to the proper network.

Note that in this case you may still want the network with link state up and be allowed to bring the link up/down so it's for sure not the case as 'unwired/link down but connected to arbitrary network'