[Engine-devel] network wiring DD questions/comments

Moti Asayag masayag at redhat.com
Tue Nov 20 12:36:01 UTC 2012

Few more (here and inline):

1. Add can-do-action for network name with name 'none'. This is not must
- if we change none with N/A in the network drop-down list.

2. In "plugged --> plugged" - updateVmInteface should be replaced with
updateVmDevice.

On 11/20/2012 09:40 AM, Livnat Peer wrote:
> Hi Alona,
> I reviewed the DD of wired/unwired and I have a few questions/comments -
>
> 1. update vnic while the VM is running should be limited to cluster 3.2
> (except for plug/unplug)
>
> 2. RunVM - why do we need to pass the  'linkState' property to VDSM? I
> think that if the link is down we should pass none as the network and if
> the link is up we should pass the network name, like we did so far. the
> link-state is internal implementation detail in the engine.

Isn't there any consideration from current 3.2 VDSM versions built from
source ? I agree that stable/formal VDSM which supports 3.2 should be
capable of handling empty network name. If decided to pass the linkState
- it must be sent with a default value (true), same goes for createVM.

> 3. looking on the VDSM API -
> * why do we need 'type' ?
> * why do we need 'device'?
> * why do we need 'alias'?
> * As I wrote I think we don't need 'linkState'
>
> 4. I am missing the error handling description when the user performs -
> Update Vnic while changing the type for example. What is the behavior if
> we succeed to unplug but not plug after that, etc.
>
> 5. Updated APIs section -This section is based on the fact that we pass
> linkstate to vdsm which is not needed IMO, so if we change that this
> section should be updated accordingly.
>
> 6. The EVENT section is empty, what events should be issued to audit log?
> I think we should have an even for update vnic and if plug/unplug is
> required a second event should be issued.

If we keep using internally the ActivateDeactivateVmNic command by the
UpdateVmNic command - each command should create the relevant event-log.

> 7. why does link state is varchar in DB? you expect to support other
> option in addition to up/Down (which can be represented by 1 bit), maybe
> n/a status?

+1

> 8. About the open issues-
>
> * About deprecation of ActivateDeactivateVmNic command  - I think that
> we should remove this command from the backend to avoid duplicate flows
> and bugs etc. for Backwards compatibility we should update the clients
> to use the new UpdateVmNetworkInterface. the down side for that is we
> have to make the can do action validation more complicated (according to
> cluster level etc.)

It will make the command execution more complex as well - since the
ActivateDeactivateVmNic command is non-transactive - so the internal
implementation should be copied to certain flows of the
UpdateVmNetworkInterface (which involves VDSM calls).

In any case - UpdateVmNetworkInterface should be marked as non-transactive.

> * If we remove ActivateDeactivateVmNic there is no need to rename it ;)

In case we decide to keep ActivateDeactivateVmNic  - according to the
design changes it will pass also the linkState to VDSM, therefore i
won't modify its name, as it performs wire/unwire in addition to
plug/unplug.