[Engine-devel] spice-xpi(firefox) plugin for Windows

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Wed Apr 17 12:45:45 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

Lately I've been hacking on getting the spice-xpi plugin to work on
Windows. This is the Firefox plugin that is used on Linux to implement
the portal SPICE console.

This work has now been merged upstream (
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/spice/spice-xpi/ ), and I've pushed a
scratch build using mingw available from
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=5265107 (this will go
away in several days). Copying this dll + its dependencies to the
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins directory are enough to get
a spice-xpi plugin to show up in about:plugins, and to then be able
to start a SPICE client from the spice-xpi test page (
http://teuf.fedorapeople.org/plugins/test.html ).
The dependencies I had to copy are:

gspawn-win32-helper-console.exe
gspawn-win32-helper.exe
iconv.dll
libffi-6.dll
libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll
libgio-2.0-0.dll
libglib-2.0-0.dll
libgmodule-2.0-0.dll
libgobject-2.0-0.dll
libgthread-2.0-0.dll
libintl-8.dll
libstdc++-6.dll
pthreadGC2.dll
zlib1.dll

(I picked them from the various mingw-* fedora packages).

The reason for this email is that to be usable from oVirt, some portal
changes are needed as it currently only tries to use the spice-xpi plugin
on Linux platforms.
Another fuzzy bit is how to get this plugin to the users' machines...

And that's about all I had to say in that email ;) Let me know if that's
useful to oVirt, how you want to integrate this, ...

Cheers,

Christophe