[Engine-devel] direct manipulation of libvirt

Dead Horse deadhorseconsulting at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 16:43:31 UTC 2013

A broad question here, perhaps not a possibility but I figured I would toss
it out there anyway.

VDSM is great at what it does, however there are those times when direct
manipulation of libvirt or libvirt VM configuration would be very handy.
The safe defaults and tested VM configurations that VDSM/ovirt provides are
great. However at times it would be nice to simply connect to a hypervisor
managed by ovirt/vdsm and make a couple changes to a VM (via virt-manager
or directly via virsh).

This could be enabling a new feature that has made it's way into
QEMU/libvirt/KVM or tweaking a VM configuration for whatever reason. Now
there is nothing stopping someone from doing this now either directly or
via VDSM hooks. Hooks are a pain along with the custom properties to jack
them into engine. Direct manipulation of libvirt since it has been
upstarted by vdsm results in an unhappy VDSM/engine.

Thoughts?
- DHC